In preparation for this year’s NaNoWriMo, I’ve been looking at various character sheets – questions to ask yourself about your characters, in order to get to know them better. Obviousy not all questions relate to all characters, but they do get you thinking. Here’s a basic character sheet, feel free to add your own in the comments…
- What is their home like?
- Who are they in love with?
- Do they have a best friend or confidante?
- Have they ever lost anyone important to them?
- How would they spend an evening alone?
- When were they happiest?
- Do they have a pet?
- What is their long-term goal in life?
- Brief physical description
- Any hidden talents?
- How would they react to bad news?
- What did they do yesterday?
- Method of transportation?
- What would they do if they only had one week to live?
- What would they rescue in a fire?
You might not include any of this information in your novel or story, but I find it helps in forming a rounded picture of your character.